Fourth Grade: Anacapa Island
Offered in the Spring, the Fourth grade team travels by bus to Ventura County where they then travel by boat to the Channel Islands National Park for this day trip. Anacapa is one of five Channel Islands. IV PTA covers your child’s entire tuition and transportation fees!
Fifth Grade: Wolf Camp at El Capitan Canyon
Offered in the Winter, the Fifth grade team travels by bus and spend four days/three nights at El Capitan Canyon. IV PTA covers half of your child’s tuition and transportation fees!
Previously, the Fifth grade team attended The Outdoor School at Rancho Alegre. Unfortunately, the Whittier Fire over the summer burned down 90% of The Outdoor School. Thanks to the quick action of our VP of Fundraising/Camps, options were presented to the our Principal and the Fifth grade teachers before the start of school year. We were able to secure a backup plan quickly! The intent is to return to The Outdoor School when the new camp is ready for schools to return.
Sixth Grade: Catalina Island Marine Institute (CIMI)
Offered in the Spring, the Sixth grade team travels by bus and boat to Catalina Island where they spend five days/four nights. Students also receive a CIMI hoodie. IV PTA covers half of your child’s tuition and transportation fees! We also cover the cost of the CIMI hoodies!
Camp Fundraising 101: PTA vs. Individual Accounts
PTA Fundraising Side
PTA's largest budget expense is science camps. Fundraising throughout the year goes into a "general" fund which is dispersed to various programs we identified on the budget for the year (including camps). Throughout the year, we receive donations and grant funding specific to science camps; those funds can only be used on the science camp budget expense. PTA is fortunate our fundraising and grant writing efforts have been strong, allowing us to pay half of the fifth and sixth grade science camp experience while supporting all other programs in our detailed budget.
Remember all donations are tax deductible! If you wish to provide an annual donation, we will provide you with a PTA donation receipt.
Educating parents about the science camp expenses early will allow time to plan ahead. Here are a few fundraising opportunities to cover your child’s tuition:
OPEN TO ALL GRADES
UC Santa Barbara's GIVE, an annual rummage sale overseen by UC Santa Barbara’s Division of Student Affairs, offers a lucrative opportunity to earn science camp funds by simply volunteering at the GIVE sale in June. Volunteers are needed a week prior to the GIVE sale and on the actual sale weekend (one week after college graduation). The more hours you work, the more money you earn. (Hourly rate ranges between $15 to $25/hour dependent on weekend sales.) We are fortunate to be one of fourteen groups to receive this opportunity!
ParentSquare announcements are made in the month of May to solicit volunteers.
OPEN TO FIFTH AND SIXTH GRADES ONLY
- Fall Movie Conference Week. Volunteers work for three hours providing childcare ($25). ParentSquare announcements are announced in November.
- Spring Movie Conference Week. Volunteers work for two hours providing childcare ($15). ParentSquare announcements are announced in November.
- Viva El Arte. Volunteers work during the event ($25). Talk to Laura Casanueva in the front office if interested.
OPEN TO SIXTH GRADE ONLY
- Friday Ice Cream. Volunteers work for one hour selling ice cream ($10). ParentSquare signup sheet available. Contact Shannon Jones if interested.
- Domino's Pizza Gift Card Sales. Sell gift cards and earn $10/card sold. Sixth grade teachers will make this announcement when it becomes available.
We strive to ensure all students experience science camp during the upper grade levels. We appreciate all you do - from fundraising to volunteering time - to support the PTA's endeavors for camp and all programs we provide.
If you have any questions about science camp, please contact the following individuals:
- General science camp questions: Your teacher or front office team
- Individual camp accounts: Front office (Laura Casanueva)
- Camp Logistics responsible for researching camps/supporting the school with pre-planning informational nights as required. PTA contact = Hank Opalinski
- Camp accounting responsible for working with the office team to issue invoices to fifth/sixth grade parents. Our PTA contact will relay any specific questions regarding error in invoices, etc. to the front office (Laura Casanueva). PTA contact = Emily Tom-Atzberger.